Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Monday Puzzle #30 or "Exhibit A - I Ain't That Quick"


Well, I watched Dr. Zhivago last night. ALL of it. And, it was good. I particularly enjoyed the first 5 hours – the historic context, the costumes, the scenery. The last 27 hours turned a bit into a late ‘60’s/70’s love movie (aka The Way We Were or The Goodbye Girl). I don’t know – maybe it was the mustache or the sweaters…but, overall, very enjoyable.

The film had some great crossword project references – Alec Guinness (he was an answer in a recent puzzle), Geraldine Chaplin (Puzzle #22 – daughter of Oona Chaplin – said she based her performance on her mother), AND, my favorite, during the intermission they threw up a screen that said, “Entr’acte.” (reference puzzle #28).

Puzzle #30 was fine. Had one of those “duh” moments with 44 down, “Grapevine contents.” I did not get off of the literal definition of the word “grapevine.” GOSSIP, the answer, makes a lot of sense. I ended up with gossup and figured it was some sort of sap or something used in the processing of wine…? I don’t know.

That also meant that I got 64 across wrong. The clue was, “Look ___ (study).” I had unto, but the correct answer is INTO.

I had a few clues I could not answer:

15 across, “’Potpourri’ for a thousand, _____.” ALEX. Huh? Gotta look that up. Oh, it’s a reference to Jeopardy.

7 down, “Outfielder Moises.” ALOU. Looked him up. Baseball player.

9 down, “Most damning evidence, maybe.” EXHIBITA. Omg. Ok, I just looked up “exhibita” in MW and Googled it. Why do I need to go through those steps to finally realize it is Exhibit A? Sigh.

Answers I got but don’t really know:

16 across,”Mother of Apollo and Artemis.” LETO.

2 down, “With 60-Across, Thornton Wilder play” and 60 across, “See 2-Down.” OUR TOWN. I’ve added the film version to my Netflix queue.

31 across, “English cathedral site.” ELY. You can learn all about The Cathedral Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Ely here.

66 across, “Les ____-Unis.” ETATS. Oh, I think that’s French for The United States.

And, that’s it. I have 20 more Monday puzzles to complete. I certainly need the practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment