Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Monday Puzzle #31 or "Xanadooo-oo-oooh"


Puzzle #31. Completed it with one very silly error. It was in 23 across, “Summer drink.” ADE. This is a very common clue. I always get it. But, not today. Today I put ale.

That meant that I got 12 down wrong, “Famed New York restaurateur.” First of all, I thought restaurateur would have an “n” in it. It doesn’t. The answer is SARDI (I had Sarli). I’ve heard of Sardi’s – know it’s that famous restaurant – may have even gone there? But, I just couldn’t think of it when completing this puzzle.

Everything else I got right and there were only a few answers I don’t really know:
15 across, “Multiplatinum album with the 2002 hit ‘Ain’t It Funny’.” JLO. Yeah, not a big Jennifer Lopez fan.

17 across, 25 across, 38 across, 52 across, and 64 across all had to do with Get Smart. I’ve never seen the show. Didn’t see the movie. I’ve added the first season to my Netflix queue. Thinking that the kid will like it.

50 across, “Artist Bonheur.” ROSA. French painter, 1800’s. I don’t recognize her two most recognized paintings, “Ploughing in the Nivernais” and “The Horse Fair.”

67 across, “Xanadu band, for short.” ELO. I have never seen that movie! And I always wanted to. It’s now in my Netflix queue, but it has one and three quarters stars. Can’t even eke out two stars.

25 down, “Rubik who invented Rubik’s Cube.” ERNO. Did not know his first name. The Rubik’s Cube was invented in 1974. I totally remember my brother trying to master it. According to WikiP, as of January 2009, 350 million have been sold worldwide.

54 down, “Israeli desert.” NEGEV.

57 down, “Physicist Enrico.” FERMI. Hmmm, after reading the first sentence of the WikiP biography, sounds like someone I should have learned about at some point. No memory. This is what WikiP says: “Enrico Fermi was an Italian physicist most noted for his work on the development of the first nuclear reactor, and for his contributions to the development of quantum theory, nuclear and particle physics, and statistical mechanics. Fermi was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1938 for his work on induced radioactivity and is today regarded as one of the top scientists of the 20th century.”

That’s it for Puzzle #31. I clearly still need to master the “easy” puzzles, but I am looking forward to moving on to Tuesdays. Maybe it will be one of those weird things where I’m better at the harder puzzles. Hah!

No comments:

Post a Comment