Friday, July 31, 2009

Monday Puzzle #41 or "Stop Violent Acts Against Arbits"

Wow, this month has been pretty hectic. No time for crosswording, which is sad. But, I have been able to read a little bit of the Pierre Loti book - it's such a short book and so easy to read, I should be done with it by now. AND, I watched Purple Rain last night (that ended up on my Netflix list as a result of the xword project) and LOooooooVED it! It was awesome - not good awesome, but super cheesy 1980's awesome. Except for the music, which was genuinely awesome.

Puzzle #41 was alright. There was one clue and answer that completely surprised me. The clue was "Lone Ranger's cry" and I put Hi Ho Silver. But no, it's Hi Yo Silver. Yo. Yo? Now that I think about it, Hi Ho is kinda weird. That's what the dwarfs on Snow White say...right? Now I'm doubting myself, so I had to look it up. And, yes, they say Hi Ho.

Here's something I've never heard of - Moog Synthesizer. That was the answer to 69 across. Wikipedia tells me that it is "any number of analog synthesizers designed by Dr. Robert Moog...and is commonly used as a generic term for analog and digital music synthesizers."

There were a lot of answers I got, but don't know. Stutz Bearcat, Gino Vannelli, Julius Larosa, Raga, My Friend Irma, Minot (city in North Dakota), and arbs. That last one - the clue was "Wall St. figures" - stands for arbitrageurs. MW tells me that an arbitraguer is "one that practices arbitrage." Arbitrage is, of course, a violent act against arbits, which I'm totally against.

I was happy to see 13 down, "Part of Q.E.D." ERAT...of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment