Monday, July 13, 2009

Monday Puzzle #39 or "Sexual Harassment Runs in the Family"

Holey moley. Super busy. (And, it doesn't help that I've just discovered I can no longer copy and paste my posts from Word or Notepad...I love downloading Windows updates. There are always little unexpected surprises. Like little Microsoft presents...that SUCK!) Now retyping my blog post and am definitely behind on the crossword project.

The first season of "Get Smart" arrived - the kid loves it. I have enjoyed the few episodes I've watched...and may be developing a weird crush on Don Adams.

Have not made it any further in my Pierre Loti book - had to finish my book club book and am now swamped with the other things in my life. But, I am looking forward to picking it back up as it really is a lovely book.

Now, puzzle #39. Now this was my kind of puzzle. With clues like, "____ Excited (Pointer Sisters hit)," "Zellweger of Bridget Jones's Diary," "Frank Zappa's daughter," and "Stimpy's pal on TV" - this is the stuff I know.

And, this puzzle had "Norma ____, Sally Field Oscar-winning role" - I always knew the answer to that one, but just recently saw the movie because of this project. It's so much more fulfilling to really know the answer...not just have something memorized.

But, there were some answers that I did not know - got them, but don't really know them.

22 across, "A Chaplin." SYD. There are two Syd Chaplins. The first was the half brother of Charlie Chaplin. Syd worked with his half brother and managed his finances. He was also a comedian and actor and had roles in some films. He also started the first privately owned American airline. The most scandalous thing about him (on Wikipedia) is the story behind why he never acted again. Wikipedia says, "Sydney Chaplin was involved in a sex scandal with acrtress Molly Wright in which he was accused of biting off her nipple in a sexual assault." Apparently, the studio settle, "conceding the truth of Wright's claims."

The other Syd Chaplin is Charlie Chaplin's son, Sydney Earle Chaplin. This Sydney just died in March of this year. He was also an actor (Tony winning and nominated) and starred opposite Barbara Streisand in Funny Girl on Broadway. They apparently fooled around in her dressing room while she was married to Elliott Gould. Wikipedia says, after Streisand decided to end their affair, "he started disorienting her on stage by whispering 'nose' to her during their 'You Are Woman' love scene. She asked him to stop, he didn't; she then filed harassmetn charges against him with Actors' Equity."

So, both Sydneys were slapped with harassment charges.

I've added 'Limelight' - a 1952 film with both Sydney and his father - to my Netflix list.

52 down, "Acress Mimieux." YVETTE. She was in "Where the Boys Are"...oh, looks like I'm going to have to add "Jackson County Jail to my queue. It has Tommy Lee Jones in his first starring role.

56 down, "Actor Cariou." LEN. He's Canadian. Tony winning actor. He looks vaguely familiar to me.

That's it for #39.

No comments:

Post a Comment