Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Monday Puzzle #16 or "It's a Lulu of a Lollapalooza"

Puzzle #16 – completed it, one error, and very few don’t knows. But first, one may be wondering how the diet is going. I am at the end of week two and I no longer feel like I am going to die. I actually feel great. I’m not as hungry as I used to be. I don’t crash like I used to. I’m almost completely off of caffeine (was drinking 6 cups of green tea a day at the beginning, now down to one in the morning). I had to make cupcakes for my son’s class last night and that was…excruciatingly difficult. But, I was good.

Couple of things we didn’t expect from this real/whole food program – we have much less garbage and recycling. Like, startlingly less. I am taking less over the counter medication (Zantac, Advil Sinus). And, in general, I just feel normal. I am really hoping that, when the 28 day program is over, I don’t go back to what I was eating before. I’m enjoying this life.

And, I enjoyed puzzle #16. My only error was with 26 across, “Knit and ___.” PURL. But, I put “perl.” That also meant that I got 31 across wrong, “Terre ____, Ind.” HAUTE (instead of Haete). Now, I’m wondering what is so great about Terre Haute, IN that it made it into a crossword puzzle. Ooooohhhh. According to BFF Wikipedia, the federal death row is at the Terre Haute Federal Correctional Complex. It is also on the Erie Canal. Not the federal death row. Terre Haute. But, I guess the federal death row as well.

Things I got and don’t know:

66 across is a common crossword clue, “Yale students.” ELIS. Wikipedia says it is a nickname for Yale students, after benefactor Elihu Yale.

5 down, “Pique.” SNIT. Vocab issue. It’s funny because I’ve definitely will say things like, “that piqued my curiosity.” But, I would say that pique means raised or aroused. MW says, “a transient feeling of wounded vanity.” The transitive verb is “to arouse anger or resentment in” or “to excite or arouse especially by a provocation, challenge, or rebuff.” Since MW says a snit is “a state of agitation,” it makes sense that pique = snit. I suppose a transient feeling of wounded vanity could be a snit.

11 down, “Cathay and the environs, with ‘the’.” ORIENT. According to Wikipedia, Cathay is the Anglicized version of “Catai” and an alternative name for China in English.

41 down, “Lollapalooza.” I put “tour” at first, but it came out as LULU with the other answers. This took me a while to figure out on the web. I finally had to look up the word “lulu” in MW. It says, “one that is remarkable or wonderful.” The definition of lollapalooza is “one that is extraordinarily impressive.”

45 down, “Santa ____, one of the Solomon Islands.” ISABEL. Santa Isabel Island is the longest of the Solomon Islands. (of course, got my info from Wikipedia)

I was very happy to easily get 15 across, “Miss from Marseille: Abbr.” MLLE. Learned this is the abbreviation for mademoiselle in Puzzle #14. So, I’m learning. A little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment