Thursday, June 18, 2009

Monday Puzzle #17 or "Arty of the Irst Art"


I completed Puzzle #17 yesterday, but didn’t have time to post about it because I spent all of my free time watching Anatomy of a Murder – 2 hours and 40 minutes long! But, worth every minute because it was brilliant.

I watched it because of Puzzle #1’s clue, “Director Preminger.” I’d never heard of Otto Preminger (director of Anatomy of a Murder). I’d heard of the movie, but hadn’t seen it.

Anyway, it is great. Not a “world through rose colored glasses” film that was so typical of the era (movie was released in 1959). The dialogue and the filming were so sophisticated and real. I felt like I was getting a real glimpse into life at that time. AND, the issues surrounding rape, how women were treated…that wasn’t even the premise of the movie. It’s just so interesting to see how that topic was handled 50 years ago.

James Stewart was 51 when the film was released. I had to look up how old George Clooney is today (48) because I see many similarities between the two.

Anyway, it’s a great film – great acting, dialogue. A really good courtroom drama. And a fantastic look at life in the 50’s.

Now, Puzzle #17 went pretty well. I completed it and had one error. Two big things:

1. It had EPEE as an answer! Yay! I have now encountered EPEE and OLEO in this project - hence the name of the aforementioned project.

2. It had “Singer Sumac” as a clue. I did not get it right away. How can I have researched this woman, read about her life, watched her and listened to her on YouTube, and blogged about her – see this clue – and say to myself, “Oh! That’s sounds familiar. I think some sort of modern country singer…it’ll come to me.” It came to me when I completed the other answers and, therefore, got YMA. And, even then I looked at it for a second and thought, “That’s weird.” And then finally, the wheel slowly and squeakily turned and it all came together for me. Ugh.

My error was in 25 across, “52 in old Rome.” LII. But, I put VII. I really don’t know my Roman numerals. This meant that 8 down, “Verdi’s Moor” was wrong. It’s supposed to be Otello and I put Otelvo. I know Verdi and I know Othello. But, WikiP tells me that Otello is an opera adapted from Shakespeare’s “Othello, the Moor of Venice.”

Things I got, but don’t know are:

5 across, “Body of water in Italy.” LAGO. Wordreference.com tells me lago means lake in Italian.
16 across, “Fred’s dancing partner.” ADELE. I know they’re talking about Fred Astaire. I think of him as partnering up with Ginger Rogers. WikiP tells me that Adele was Fred’s older sister and they grew up performing together.

29 down, “TV actress Georgia.” ENGEL. Don’t know who that is. OH! She’s Ted Baxter’s wife on The Mary Tyler Moor Show. I LOVE her.

48 down, “Half-brother of Tom Sawyer.” SID. I read that so long ago…

An answer I was really proud that I got was 52 down, “’A Bar at the Folies-Bergere’ painter.” Somehow, somewhere, Manet emerged out of my brain. I did have to Google the painting to see what it looks like and I do remember it from art history class. Why do I get Manet, but not Yma Sumac?

Answers I got – but realized I don’t know a lot or much about:

36 across, “Singer Sedaka.” NEIL. I totally got that it was Neil Sedaka. But, realized I couldn’t name one of his songs. So, I looked him up and I know a BUNCH of his songs – Calendar Girl, Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen, Breaking Up Is Hard To Do.

21 down, “Norma ____.” RAE. Again, Norma Rae came right out of my brain. And, I know it’s a movie with maybe Sally Field or someone like that…but that’s where the knowledge ends. Luckily I can watch it streaming on Netflix, so will do that in the next few days. (And, yes, it is Sally Field.)
Ok. Today was the last day of school. I have somehow ended up with 4 kids and am going to go see "Up" with about 4,000 other kids. I love it. End of the school year is so full of energy - feels like looking toward the future - excitement. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment