Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Monday Puzzle #9 or "BMOC Says What?"



The kid likes to do crossword puzzles and he got a hold of my book. It would be fine, if he could read. So, he makes up clues and answers. Luckily I was able to stop him before it turned into a “cute” colored on the floor or got into Mommy’s makeup type situation.


Puzzle nine kinda sucked. I completed it, but just barely. I had to come back to is several times over several hours. Sometimes it just helps to put the puzzle down and then pick it back up again in a few hours with a fresh perspective.


One answer I was happy to get was 34 down, “1980 Wilder/Pryor comedy.” STIR CRAZY. I totally know this (even though I’ve never seen the movie) because I remember when it came out. I really wanted to see it. The trailer looked so funny – I have a flash of a picture of a chicken costume? Anyway, some kid on the playground said he saw it and we were all like, “Oooooh. You saw a rated R movie!” I was 9, so this impressed me.


I was very happy to discover that I can watch Stir Crazy on Netflix online, which I will do tonight (hopefully).


Where I had trouble:


20 across, “Fraction of a joule.” What? Huh? Is that some sort of money or something? No, according to Wikipedia, it is “the derived unit of energy in the International System of Units. It is the energy exerted by a force of one newton acting to move an object through a distance of one metre. Algebraically: 1 J = 1 kg × m (to the 2nd) × s (to the -2nd)” Seriously? Oh please let me have a drink. And, to top it off, the answer is ERG. Erg? That’s what my brain is doing right now. But, again according to Wikipedia, “1 joule is equal to 1 x 10 (to the 7th) ergs.” Next!


21 across, “Danish money.” KRONE. Oh good lord.


24 across, “Shooting marble.” TAW. I’ve seen this clue before. I will see it again. Taw rhymes with blah.


60 across, “Second letter before iota.” ETA. I don’t know the Greek alphabet, even though I lived across from Greek Row freshman year. This will come back to bite me, I’m sure. (As will some of those Greek Row escapades.)


65 across, “Indian title.” RANEE. What?!?!? How many things are there is this world that I don’t know? A ranee (also rani) is a princess or queen in India.


32 down, “Popular coll. guy.” BMOC. Ok, I’m looking at that and I have no idea what it means. Ohhhhhkay. Big Man On Campus.


I have determined that today is not a good crossword puzzle day. I am feeling bitter and sarcastic about the ways of the crossword puzzle. Perhaps Stir Crazy will lighten my mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment