Monday, June 29, 2009

Monday Puzzle #29 or "Just Add Cushioning"


Saw a funny craigslist ad today. A guy was selling 55 gallon barrel dog houses for $5.00 each. It said, “Just add bedding.” Yeah – and something to keep your dog from rolling away. (Also, I’m curious about how sharp those edges and corners are.) I love entrepreneurs…it’s what keeps America, well, America.

Puzzle #29 had two tried and true clues and answers:

56 down, “Bygone U.S. gasoline. ESSO. And, one I haven’t memorized yet, 60 across, “Japanese sashes.” OBIS.

The other clues I was unable to solve were:

55 down, “Theater award.” OBIE. These are the Off-Broadway Theater Awards. So, what the Tony Awards are for Broadway.

8 down, “1-to-12, gradewise.” ELHI. I get it – elementary high school. But, I don’t like the clue or the answer.

15 across, “Disney’s ‘____ and the Detectives’.” EMIL. I haven’t heard of it or seen it. And, Netflix doesn’t have it. It is based on a 1929 German novel and came out in 1964. Since I can’t find it, I really want to see it.

I had one error, which affected two answers:

32 across, “Wading bird” and 34 down, “Helicopter feature.” I had egmet and motor. The correct answers are EGRET and ROTOR. I know egret. But, I had that M in there and was thinking, “huh, never heard of an egmet before.”

And that’s it, really. Everything else I knew – one vaguely and after the other clues gave me the answer. It was 26 down, “1930’s vice president John ____ Garner.” NANCE. As soon as Nance was in there, it rang a bell. But, I couldn’t have answered it without the other clues. You can read some interesting facts about Cactus Jack here.

Even though I had an error and I didn’t complete the puzzle, I do feel like I did better on this one than some more recent puzzles (that’s right #27 and 28 – I’m talking about you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment