Thursday, June 11, 2009

Monday Puzzle #11 or "Bad As It's Ever Been"

Puzzle 11 kinda sucked. Didn’t finish it, had errors, and there were a lot of answers I got but don’t really know.

Didn’t get:

15 across, “Printed mistakes.” ERRATA.

23 across, “____ Rebel (1962 #1 hit)” HESA. As in, he’s a. Just listened to it online and I can’t believe I’ve never heard it before. I was way into 50’s and 60’s music when I was in high school (can you believe I’m way into crossword puzzles now?) and thought I’d heard everything.

9 down, “Siouan tribe.” OTOE. I guess it would be helpful if I knew was Siouan was. Ok, looks like it is a Native American language family and the Otoe are one of the tribes that spoke it. There are 17 languages and then sub-languages. The Otoe language is Chiwere. Their land was in what is now Nebraska/Kansas.

There was a whole section that I didn’t get. I couldn’t get a single word, so no stumbling upon the answer by accident or getting a clue from other answers. Here’s the section:

11 across, “Hit on the head.” BOP
11 down, “Intolerant person.” BIGOT.
12 down, “Scent in England.” ODOUR.
13 down, “Small-minded.” PETTY
16 across, “Suffix with chlor-“ IDE. I knew it had to be ide or ine. But, I couldn’t figure out the other answers…
19 across, “Understood.” GOT. I thought it might be “saw.”
24 across, “Way in.” ENTRY. Had the e and the n. But, knew it couldn’t be enter. Why does my brain not then take me to entry?

I know. Look at those. So easy. One of the things that threw me is the mistake I made in 20 across, “Inquire about the leaving time?” It was “check on check out” and I put “check on check off.” Check off? I was thinking take off. (In my defense, the answer to 54 across was “take over take off.”)

Anyway, just a bunch of stupid mistakes/misses.

Answers I got, but don’t really know:

17 across, “Dr. Zhivago’s love.” LARA. Um, I don’t think I’ve seen that Dr. Zhivago movie. I saw the movie that had Dr. Strangelove in it…I think. Time to look this up and make sense of it all. Ok, yes, Dr. Strangelove I have seen. Dr. Zhivago – have not seen. I have added it to my Netflix queue.

32 across, “Actress Brennan.” EILEEN. Ok, I totally recognize her from Private Benjamin.

66 across, “Book before Nehemiah.” EZRA. Yeah, I just don’t do the bible stuff. You’d think with all the years of Sunday school, CCD, being confirmed…none of it stuck.

7 down, “____ II (razor brand).” TRAC. Apparently, I need to learn my razors (reference puzzle #2 and Atra).

25 down, “Padlock holder.” HASP. Have heard the word, just don’t really know what it is. MW says, “any of several devices for fastening; a fastener especially for a door or lid consisting of a hinged metal strap that fits over a staple and is secured by a pin or padlock.”

28 down, “Intrinsically.” PERSE. Sigh. Per se. Not perse. I never said I was quick.

Another example of that is 50 down, “The L of XXL.” I was thinking Roman numerals and dates. I got LARGE…eventually.

56 down, “Lady of Arthurian romance.” ENID. I only know Guinevere. Enid must be pissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment