Thursday, June 4, 2009

Monday Puzzle #4 or "Have You Heard of Humphrey Bogart?"


Omg Peter Lorre (reference Monday Puzzle #1) is in The Maltese Falcon! Saw his name in the opening credits, did a nod to the CPG, and began to wonder if the film would have a Greek mythology theme and if Yma Sumac was going to pop out at some point and start throat singing (reference YouTube Tumpa – El Secreto de los Incas video).

So, The Maltese Falcon was awesome – such a great movie. I have a respect for Humphrey Bogart that I didn’t have before – mainly because I really haven’t seen any of his movies. I know. I’m 38 years old. How did Bogart not make it onto my movie viewing list. I don’t know. I vaguely remember watching Casablanca when I was a kid. But, I couldn’t tell you what it is about (guy and girl fall in love in a bar with a piano player and one of them leaves on a plane and is sad?).

Anyway, Bogart was brilliant. And Mary Astor was fantastic. And the fact that Bogart turns her in in the end…that he won’t play the sap for her. May replace Young Frankenstein as my most favorite movie ever.

And Peter Lorre was awesome! I had seen the scene where Cairo is introduced in some PBS documentary about the history of gay and lesbian characters in film. That character…and the acting.

I feel like someone who just had sex for the first time and is running around telling everybody they should do it…but everyone already has and is over it. But, I am enjoying my own little moment of discovering The Maltese Falcon.

And, to top off this gay mood, I completed puzzle #4! All the boxes filled in. That never happens. Seriously…maybe 5 times. In the interest of full disclosure, I did have one error. For 24 down (“_____-turvy”), I put TOPSY. That made 30 across (“Sly maneuver”) PLIY. I thought, “Pliy? Well, that’s one I’m going to have to look up.” So, caught that when I checked the answer key to make sure I got them all right.

There are a couple of answers that I only got because of the other clues. For example, “Swiss canton.” URI. I don’t understand the clue or the answer. I guess a canton is like a state or a region and Uri is one of the 26 cantons of Switzerland.

44 across, “Cry in court.” OYEZ. I had no idea that at the beginning of each session of the Supreme Court, the marshal of the Court says, “Oyez! Oyez! Oyez! All persons having business before the Honorable, the Supreme Court of the United States, are admonished to draw near and give their attention, for the Court is now sitting.”

49 across, “Prosperity.” WEAL. This is a vocab issue. Merriam Webster definition is “a sound, healthy, or prosperous state.”

10 down – another hole in the ol’ vocab – “Bring forth as evidence.” ADDUCE. M-W says, “to offer as example, reason, or proof in discussion or analysis.”

61 down, “Portico in Greek architecture.” STOA. I remember learning these in high school
While I did a little jump up and down dance for completing the puzzle, it does not count because I had one error. And, I want to know every answer…not just luck out because of the other answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment