Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Monday Puzzle #2 or "Lessons in Greek Mythology"

Why did I start this the same week I started this crazy diet? I get frustrated with metro areas when it feels like they don't communicate about major events occurring all at the same date/time/place. For example, I live in Seattle and wonder if anybody spoke to anybody else about the pros and cons of having a Mariner's game, the RV show at Qwest Field, the viaduct closed for a marathon, and construction on 4th & Royal Brougham all at the same time at the end of a holiday weekend when all of the ferry traffic will be unloading into the same area.



But, here I am doing the same thing. The Kid's Kindergarten year is wrapping up and there are all sorts of end of school year open houses, fiestas, graduations, half days popping up out of nowhere. I'm finally starting physical therapy on my ankle tendonitis (tomorrow). And, I am suddenly off of sugar, dairy, wheat or grains of any kind (except for brown rice, which is no consolation prize), coffee, alcohol. The nutritionist who is leading this program - and who is very nice - told us to focus on all the things we can eat. All fruits, all vegetables, all meat, eggs, etc. So, there is a lot - but, no butter, no mayo, no salt, no breadcrumbs. So, on top of going through sugar and caffeine withdrawals (although I am going to drink as much green tea as a human possibly can), I need to figure out how to cook without the things I always cook with (butter, mayo, salt, breadcrumbs, etc.). Enough whining. I'll be fine. BUT, my brain will not be in the best place to recall vocab words and little factoids.



So, puzzle #2 started out strong. I thought, "Ok, that first one was just to throw you - so you didn't think you were going to be able to whip through this book. Good one, Mr. Shortz. But now, I've hit my stride." Until 55 across. "Meat-packing pioneer." And it went downhill from there. I'd say a good 80% of the puzzle is completed, but now I need some help.



I'm splitting this up into vocab and "things of substance." (Can't think of a better name for that category yet - basically, historical & cultural events and references - everything other than just a lack of vocab.)



First the vocab.



12 down, "At right angles to a ship." ABEAM. I had everything but the M.

53 across, "End of a proof." QED. Q.E.D. is an abbreviation of the Latin phrase quod erat demonstrandum, which means "which was to be demonstrated." It is now used at the end of mathematical proofs to signify that the last statement was the one being demonstrated...and, therefore, shows the completion of the proof.


And now the Google, research stuff

13 down, "Jason's ally and lover in myth." MEDEA. I just read a kind of Cliff Notes version of the myth of Jason and the Argonauts and Medea. I'm surprised it is not familiar to me...we read a ton of Greek myths in high school and college. I've certainly heard of Jason and the Argonauts - and, I've heard of Medea. Just don't know the myth...until now. Pretty typical Greek myth - sheesh. Lots of killing of fathers, uncles, sons. Love, deceit, politics, and tragedy.

24 across, "Singer Sumac." YMA. I just read a biography of Yma Sumac here. Pretty amazing life - and she just passed away 7 months ago. I've added one of her albums and movies to my to do list.

41 across. This one I should know and am embarrassed. "Ancient Roman censor." I have C _ _ O and I know it's Cero or Ciro or something like that...ok, CATO. Sure, that's what I meant. Apparently the Ancient Roman Censor maintained the census. Technically, shouldn't censor have been capitalized in this clue? Not that that would have helped.

46 across, "Sign outside a hit show." SRO. Standing room only. Ok. So, that answer gave me EASE for "Facility" and ATRA for "Gillette brand." I've never heard of Atra. When I Google atra, I get Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association. Try again with Gillette and find out it's one of their razors.

55 across, "Meat-packing pioneer." So, the answer to this one revealed that I had 50 down wrong. The clue is "Final approval" and I put STAMP. But, the answer is SAYSO. The meat-packing pioneer is ARMOUR. (coincidentally, my husband just IM'd me with "bacon! we can eat bacon!!!!) According to Wikipedia (sorry, that is my main source of quick information), Armour and Company was founded in 1867 and was the first company to produce canned meat and to use an assembly line technique in its factory.

62 across, "What?!" This is one of the theme clues. There are four and they are all "What?!" I got "Not to be believed," "How can that be," and "Give me a break." This one I couldn't get. It is "You're not serious."

49 down, "Phedre playwright." RACINE. Jean Racine, 1639 - 1699. Wrote Phedre in 1677. Another Greek mythology reference (subject of Phedre).


As a result of those answers, I was able to complete some others (just having one or two letters really helps!). But, there are definitely a few that I did not (do not) know.

66 across, "'The Thin Man' wife." NORA

67 across, "European car." OPEL

69 across, "Son of Seth." I don't get any of these biblical clues...major weakness. ENOS.

Wow. One a day is going to be really difficult. There's a lot I don't know. Maybe one every other day to give me time to research things and write up my post. That means my next post will be right in the middle of my food chemical withdrawal break down. Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment