Friday, June 5, 2009

Monday Puzzle #5 or "A1 Steak Sauce is Super Duper!"


Right on cue, today is the day of the diet meltdown. It’s the day that your body says, “Oh, you were serious about this no sugar and coffee thing? Well then, FU.”
Ugh. The nutritionist said we would go through chemical/sugar/caffeine withdrawal and have withdrawal symptoms. He said “You don’t have apple withdrawals, so think about what going through these withdrawals may mean for what is really healthy for your body.” My response today is FU. My response next week will be, “I’ve never felt so energetic. I can’t believe how dependent I was on coffee and sugar. I’ll never go back.” In 18 months when I’m on the next 30 day diet and going through sugar and caffeine withdrawal, I’ll be thinking, “FU.”

Oh, and a big thanks for putting the picture of the scrumptious looking piece of apple pie with a dreamy looking scoop of vanilla ice cream on top on the cover of the crossword puzzle book. Oh…and just noticed…that is my dinnerware. Dansk Allegro Blue. So, just to make it all seem so much more attainable…put it on one of my plates. FU!

What puzzle are we on? Oh, puzzle #5. Again, completed it. And, no errors this time. I was so happy to see some of the old standards, especially part of this blog’s namesake – 7 down, “Butter substitute.” OLEO! That is in so many puzzles – I think because of the number of vowels. The other standard is 4 down, “Wide shoe designation.” EEE. That might also have something to do with the vowels.

Even though I completed it with no errors, there are definitely some clues and answers that I don’t really know.

15 across, “Banned orchard spray.” ALAR. Banned in 1989. Study found it caused tumors in mice.

39 across, “Super-duper.” AONE. Other than being the American Organization of Nurse Executives…oh, I just got it. It’s a-one. Like “Wow, this apple pie is a-one!” What’s up with a-one? Something doesn’t just get an “A,” it’s number one as well. It’s A-1. A1 Steak Sauce. It’s super duper. Google A-1 and discover the countless companies that start with A-1. A-1 Locksmith, A-1 Cheap Towing, A-1 Asphalt Paving, etc. Interesting.

40 across, “Brit. word reference.” OED. Oxford English Dictionary.

60 across, “____ fixe (obsession).” IDEE. Merriam Webster says…actually, I’ll look it up in the OED (www.oed.com). Oh man! Annual subscription? $295!! Ok, back to MW. “an idea that dominates one’s mind especially for a prolonged period.”

53 down, “Latvia’s capital.” RIGA. I don’t know where Latvia is. Wow, ok, there it is. On the Baltic Sea. Riga is on the Gulf of Riga, which is convenient. Riga has a population of just over 700,000. And, its German Art Nouveau architecture is unparalleled anywhere in the world (Wikipedia).
Ok, off to sleep off my food-like substance withdrawals.

No comments:

Post a Comment