Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Monday Puzzle #3 or "Just Because You Can Sing Doesn't Mean You Can Sing"


Omg. Crazy diet. Heat wave. The kid is melting down. The husband is aggravating said melt down. I’m definitely in KIT mode right now. I will let the husband be the nurturer (now that I’ve pointed out that his response to the melt down is only making things worse) and I will focus on…that’s right…crossword puzzles. Wtf?

So, puzzle number 3. Went better than 2, which was better than 1. Hope this trend continues.

But, before I get into the details of #3, is swearing allowed while crosswording? I find myself transformed into a more refined person when I’m puzzling. Or, just more guilty. Like I need to act as if I’m in church. Is God watching me complete these crosswords? Oh good lord, that’s exactly what I need. I’m an atheist, so I’m not too concerned about God condemning my crossword cursing. Or, am I a polytheist and think there could be a Crossword Puzzle God. How do you prove the existence of the CPG? I don’t know, but I suspect s/he/it is mischievous and malicious.

Let’s start with 41 across, “The ‘E’ of Q.E.D.” I mean, it’s ok for me to yell out, “god dammit!” when I see that, right? What use is it that I know that QED is something they write at the bottom of a mathematical proof to show that the final formula or calculation or whatever is what they were trying to prove and, therefore, the proof is over. I would write, “The End,” or “Ah ha!” or “So there!” But, I’m not an academic and all Latiny.

But, I don’t know what the E in QED is, even though I just learned it last night. 38 and 39 down are not helping with “Asia’s shrinking ____ Sea” and “’The Lion King’ Lion” respectively. But, with 34 down (“Nafta concept”), 42 down (“Cooking meas.”), 47 across (“Counterpart of midterms”), and 51 across (“Close of a swimming race”), I am able to kind of guess and piece it together – and confirm by looking at the answer key.

ERAT. It is erat.

Other clues giving me trouble:

43 across, “Greek cross.” TAU. Read a little bit about it. Not that interested. Last letter of the Greek alphabet. T. Cross.

49 across, “Mary of old films.” ASTOR. Hmmm, The Maltese Falcon. You know, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that…hold on…ooh, it’s available to watch instantly on Netflix. Maybe I’ll do that tonight. Astor won Best Supporting Actress for The Great Lie. I’ll add that one to the queue. Looks like she had an interesting life…according to Wikipedia (sorry).

So, last night I tried to find an Yma Sumac movie for my Netflix queue and neither of her two films are there. So, I went to YouTube and listened to some of her music. Um, I will say that her voice is amazing. And the whole 4.5 or 5 octave thing is definitely impressive. But, and I hate to say this because she seems to have a bit of a following so maybe I’m way off base, but I know what a cat in heat sounds like and…well…how to describe? If you take a song and turn it into muzak and then take the muzak version of the song and put it to words…and the “it just gets worse at each step” continuum remains consistent…THAT’S Yma Sumac. It’s not her voice (necessarily). It’s the arrangements or the lack of discipline or control over her voice. It’s just messy. And bad. Oh my god, whatever you do, don’t listen to the Sleeping Beauty remake. It makes me shudder.

I’m sorry Yma. You’re beautiful and you had an amazing life. May you rest in peace.

(shit, the CPG is breathing down my neck)

58 across, “Ballet rail.” BARRE. Ok.

So, that helped me figure out “Sanford of ‘The Jeffersons’” (ISABEL), “’His Master’s Voice’ sloganeer” (RCA), and “Elicit” (EDUCE).

There was another one that I got because of the other clues. 19 across, “Box office take.” The answer is GATE. I looked at http://www.merriam-webster.com/ and the 7th out of 7 definitions is, “the total admission receipts or the number of spectators (as at a sports event).”

I need to go eat something.

No comments:

Post a Comment